Top Social

Michael Kors isn't considered cool anymore, I don't care

April 13, 2015
Michael Kors, a brand that gained significant popularity in recent years, was deemed uncool by an April 10 Business Insider report. Because the company's shares dropped 37 percent in the past year, the report claims that the brand is now slowly losing its clout, forcing consumers to look for trendy handbags and watches elsewhere.

thin model, skinny model, short hair, black roots, mixed girl, ombre, short ombre, style, thin, skinny, model, melony, melrose, melony melrose, fashion, blog, fashion, fashion blog, katherine, katherine davis, fashion blogger, chicago blog, chicago blogger, chicago fashion blogger, windy city, windy city fashion, exclusive, exclusive fashion, exclusive chicago fashion, trends, fashion trends, Natalie Craig, Natalie in the City, affordable brands, michael kors, michael hors isn't cool, cool, michael hors handbags, michael hors boots, riding boots, black riding boots, shares, decreasing shares,
Anyone who has been reading my blog since its inception knows that Kors has maintained appearances in my posts. Some of my favorite pieces like my black riding boots and my three-tone handbag are Michael Kors items and are still pieces I wear regularly in everyday life.

Once hearing the news that the brand may be irrelevant, I considered throwing all of my Kors pieces away. As a fashion blogger, I feel pressure to be at the forefront of trends, and featuring brands that are considered passé is practically blog-suicide.

I'll admit that my MK pieces are no longer considered exclusive, but is that a good reason to stop wearing them if I still like them?

Other brands like Betsey Johnson and Juicy Couture have gone through similar business slumps where their shares dropped because their brand lost some of its prestige. But that's a struggle brands face when they try to maintain luxury standards while also being affordable. Perhaps Michael Kors struggles with establishing itself as a prominent and respected brand like Louis Vuitton or Chanel—brands that seem to never go out of style—but consumers have to remember that Kors, while still pricey, is also more affordable than these out-of-reach brands, meaning more people will have it, ultimately taking away its novelty.

thin model, skinny model, short hair, black roots, mixed girl, ombre, short ombre, style, thin, skinny, model, melony, melrose, melony melrose, fashion, blog, fashion, fashion blog, katherine, katherine davis, fashion blogger, chicago blog, chicago blogger, chicago fashion blogger, windy city, windy city fashion, exclusive, exclusive fashion, exclusive chicago fashion, trends, fashion trends, Natalie Craig, Natalie in the CityHowever, despite Business Insider's claim that the company is uncool, Michael Kors' profits show consumers are still flocking to stores. According to a Feb. 5 press release, their total revenue increased by 29.9 percent by the end of the third quarter on Dec. 27, 2014.

So, although I probably won't be buying Michael Kors in the future, I'm not going to retire the pieces I already own. Even if the brand is considered lame, it is much lamer to stop wearing something I actually like just because someone said so. Following your own fashion intuitions is way cooler than following a trend, especially if it cost you two paychecks.